I know that those of you who follow me on facebook have heard a little bit of this during the week...but I thought I'd blog about it as well, since my family tells me I don't blog enough! Ian turns 3 in a few weeks, and I've realized that over these past 3 years I have loved every minute. Even when Ian was driving me absolutely crazy or I was so tired I could cry, I still loved it all! But this past week, I discovered my least favorite thing in the world....potty training. Ian hadn't really seemed ready, so we weren't pushing him. He finally started to talk about it all the time and show interest in it, so last Saturday, we went for it. I discovered an awful, stubborn side of my son that I hope I never see again (yeah, right!). We went through 4 days of him absolutely refusing to go on the potty, and then as soon as we put underwear on him, he would let it all out. I felt insanity creeping closer and closer. Maybe I was just having a bad week. Maybe I'm short tempered because I've reached the point in pregnancy where it's become extremely difficult to lean down a million times a day to pull down a toddler's underwear. I know it's not Ian's fault, he's just learning like all other kids...something just wasn't right in my little brain this week. I pretty much owe all success to my wonderful childcare provider, Peggy, who discovered a couple of tricks that worked with him and out of the blue, he now LOVES to go potty! Now the problem is stopping him from going every three minutes. He loves to constantly tell me in a very loud voice, "I'm still dry!!!" I know we've still got a long way to go (i.e. we've had two accidents already this morning and we've only been up two hours), but I think I've gained back my hope! But I'm still set on the fact that potty training is my least favorite thing in the world!! I need to figure out a way to bribe my mom to come down to Florida and potty train all of my future children, hahaha!
Saturday, August 28, 2010
The joys of parenthood
Posted by Amy and Sean at 8:20 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Hang in there it does get better. When it finally clicks for them it is like magic for us mommies! Anyway, good luck and enjoy.
I hate potty training!!! I swear as soon as I think she is getting it and doing so well she has a set back. We bought brand new princess panties today and within an hour or two of wearing one she had a really yucky accident. :( This is after being two months in of really working on it. I hope it goes better for you. :P
You are such a good mom!!! I'm glad I still have a few more years before I have to that! But I am totally going to bribe my mom to do it for me. ;)
Just remember what they say, boys are harder than girls. It took me a full year of trying 3 times on and off before she finally got it! she has accidents even now and then, but they are getting further between. she still wears a diaper at night, but I hate tackling night time training because it's at night and she almost always wakes up in the middle if the night crying because she is wet. I even put plastic underwear over the top of her thick training underwear, but she still goes right through it..plus i do not want to clean up middle of the night poop accidents either. I should just stop procrastinating and do it. I don't know how long it will take, but I plan on moving Delia downstairs and Andrew into his bedroom.. I think I will give this a little more thought. But you're doing awesome! I know exactly how you feel. I don't look forward to it with Andrew and by that time I am probably going to want to start trying for a 3rd one (if christian will let me ;)
Post a Comment